Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Castella Cake: Soft and fluffy Castella cake

 I post this cake a long time a ago, actually it's one of my favorite cake ^^. But at that time it's quite too sweet for my Mom.


But if you use only a whisk to make this kind of sponge cake, a load of sugar helps keeping the mixture thick and make the cake moist. I think about making it again when I listen to this situation CD  ひめのかぞくをしょうかいします! ~まさはるおにいちゃんといっしょ!~  (introducing princess' family member: With brother Masaharu) that my favorite Seiyu: Sato Takuya-san (佐藤拓也) is the actor ^^. 
Well, if you never known what situation CD is, I will tell you, in this kind of CD, the actor will talk to you as if you're one of the character in the story, and in this story you (or me, hehe), is the princess. And the princess is 5 years old, it means that while listen to this CD I'm 5 years old girl, hahahahaha!!!! And the actor (Bro-Masaharu) is an university student. The story started when bro-Masaharu come to pick me (please remember, now I'm still in the kindergarten ^^ and try not to laugh). While going back home, we talk about the tale that I read at the kindergarten, and I really want to make "Castella". So, my brother (Masaharuniichan) think that we can make it together. It's how the story goes, and it makes me want to make the Castella too. (I really want to talk about the CD more but I don't want your stomach to be hurt by laughing too much, haha).
This time I make the Castella cake using hand mixer as I reduce the sugar from 180g to 120 g, it's easier to beat the egg until thick. The baking time is long but as we pour the hot water into the pan and reduce the temperature, the cake is still moist. 
This cake is not the same as the one that I made with Masaharuniichan but I think it's delicious enough for me to enjoy with a cup of hot tea.


Recipe: Castella cake
สูตรภาษาไทย: คาสเตลลา
日本語のレシピ:ふわりカステラ


Castella Cake: Soft and fluffy Castella cake
Make 18 Cake



120g ................................ Cake flour (Sifted)
3 ...................................... Eggs
120g ................................ Sugar
2tbsp ............................... Honey
2tbsp ............................... Milk
2 1/2 tbsp ....................... Oil (I use rice barn oil)



Preheat the oven to 180°C



Line 18cm square pan with baking paper, and place in a 23cm pan.
Mix the milk and oil together. 



Put the eggs in a bowl and place the bowl over a bowl of hot water, whisk until the temperature is about 40-42°C


 Take the egg bowl out of the heat.
Beat in the sugar in 3 additions until thicken.


 Whisk in the honey.
 Fold the flour in 3 additions.


 Fold in the milk and oil mixture.


 The mixture will be smooth.



 Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and run a bamboo stick from side to side to smooth the top.

Bake for 20 minutes.

Lower the oven temperature to 160°C and pour hot water into 23cm pan.


Bake for 35-40 minutes more.


Castella Cake: Soft and fluffy Castella cake

2 comments:

  1. Could I use olive oil or ghee.
    I don't have rice bran oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use other kind of oil, but I really recommend the one that don't have taste or smell ^^.

      Delete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...