Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Light Fruit Cake: Easy Festive Cake!

I was a bit lazy, I didn't want to do anything, but I really wanted to eat fruit cake, haha. I don't know why but I think it a sense of celebrating, or something like that.
I needed fruit cake! Anyway, after browsing through a lot of cookbook, real festive fruit cake need a lot of time to make and mature, but I want it now and I don't mind if it's not traditional.
So, I turn to the different kind of fruit cake, the one that I can eat it after taking out of the oven (you can see that I really need it, haha).
This cake is very easy to make, the texture is not dense and the dried fruit are not too much. The best part is you can eat it after it's just coming out of the oven, and the taste is good.
The recipe is an adaptation from one of my favorite books, I change some of the ingredients and the pan size.
I use paper cup instead of 20 cm round cake pan, (I'm so lazy, I don't want to prepare the pan >*<), so if you want to use 20 cm cake pan, the baking time will be1¼ - 1½hours. I still want to eat the traditional fruit cake but waiting for the cake to mature 2-3 months, it's a very very long time for me.



Light Fruit Cake
Make 6 (6.5x6.5 cm. paper cup)


170 g
Butter, softened
150 g
Caster sugar
40 g
Dark brown sugar
3
room-temperature eggs, beaten
340 g
self-raising flour (or cake flour plus 1¼ tsp Baking powder)
½ tsp
ground cinnamon
150 ml
Half and half
225 g
mixed dried fruit, such as sultanas, raisins, currants, chopped apricots, chopped prunes(up to your taste, haha)
2 tsp
Dark rum


½ cup
Orange marmalade


1 Heat the oven to 180°C. Mix dried fruit with dark rum.

2 Sift together the flour and cinnamon, put ½ cup of the flour mixture into the mixed dried fruit bowl, mix well.

3 Cream the butter and both sugars together in a large mixing bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs gradually, beating well after each addition.
Add the flour and milk alternating by starting with the flour and end with the flour.
When add the last part of the flour mixture, pour the dried fruit mixture with the flour, then fold to combine.

Pour the mixture into the cups.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a sharp knife or skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.

When the cakes are cool, heat the orange marmalade in a small saucepan over medium heat until liquid. Remove from heat and strain the jam through a fine strainer to remove any fruit lumps.
Brush the cake with the glaze.

The cake is now ready to serve.

Or you can decorate it with a ribbon, (^_^).

Light Fruit Cake: Easy Festive Cake!

7 comments:

  1. They are really really cute.

    Lovely & yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, this is a bit out of topic. But may I ask what camera do you use to take the pictures? Coz the photos look fab!

    Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pook,

    Happy Holidays to you. Thanks for this wonderful light fruitcake recipe. Will try it out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty cake and such a cute way to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These muffins come in handy. I have soaked some mixed fruits with rum and not too sure what to do with them until I see your recipe. Thanks for sharing the recipe and I will link you in my website once I've successfully done it.

    Cheers
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi can I asked what is the meaning of half and half? Thks

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...